Sound familiar? I BET it does! Because now that I'm aware that I'm not alone in this, I've been noticing people doing it at work, in the supermarket - even my love does it!
So ... then what? Glad you asked! Because I have a method to bust this time-wasting spinning around, get your space beautiful again, and not go mad in the process.
READY? OK, well chuck on some of your favourite tunes, and lets get to WORK!!
1. Pick a surface. It doesn't matter what it is. Shut your eyes, spin around, open - what do you see? That's your surface. A shelf, a small table, your desk, whatever.
2. Take EVERYTHING off that surface. Chuck it on the ground (or the lowest part of your room in the instance that your floor is a distant memory :p )
3. What actually belongs on that surface? An important step here: what's the purpose of this surface? If the answer has previously been "to accommodate this pile of crap", you might want to think about a better use for it! That said, I believe sane and productive people REQUIRE at least one surface in their habitats which is completely designed for dumping crap on. Be brutal if you have to - if you've got a big mess, there's a chance the correct place for some things is the trash.
- To file away in the study
- Should be in bedroom
- Belongs in the kitchen
4. Move your piles to where they are meant to be. If you have a "bedroom" pile, take it there now. And put away as much of the things from that pile as you can. If you have a "desk" pile, but your desk is already a leaning tower if Pisa, it doesn't matter - add it to the tower. You'll get to sorting it when you get to the desk.
*** if you don't put your piles away between surfaces, you'll end up with nothing but piles, and you won't be able to remember what any of them are! You can also end up "piled in" to your space! (seriously, that's happened to me!)***
5. Make that one surface exactly as you wanted it. And then honor it. If that's all you can do today, no worries, you'll do a bit more tomorrow. But keep that one spot your shining light in the rest - then next time you come back to do some more, you can look there and see where you are heading for the whole space.
Easy, right? And so simple to do it right now - go on, do it!
If you have enough discipline, it can be helpful to have a tub/washing basket or similar for those things that don't belong on your surface/s, but also don't actually have a home yet. Then once you've cleaned everything up, you can create the new spots. This can be a trap, however, if you tend to just put most things in that basket!! The point is to keep you focused on your surface and stop you from flitting from one thing (clean this table) to another (find a coloured jar to store my markers) and another (find stickers to put on my coloured jar to store my markers)... that way lays many many hours spent and very little results seen - take it from someone who knows!!
Remember this sage advice: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!
I wish you sunshine as you clear up your chaos, sweet ones. And I really want to know how you go! Please let me know if the comments below, or on the Facebook Page, if that's more your thang.
You can do it! Yay!!!